Sunday, July 26, 2015

In the Lap of Luxury

Three new buildings to add to the collection of completed terrain.

These two are a couple of more acrylic houses that I got from GameCraft.

You may remember this picture from when I posted details about how I was modifying the acrylic buildings.


I finally got around to painting them up.

Here they are without the added oak tag paper on the interior.

Empty shells.

In this next picture, the oak tag was glued on the insides and the doors painted.  I think it makes a big difference in how they appear.


Much better looking.



The next building I finished is also from GameCraft.  This one is made out of matboard.  It was a lot of fun to assemble as it was more than just five parts.
The pieces were easy to glue together with just white glue.  I applied Milliput to try to hide the seams.


Looks a little gunky with the green stuff applied.

I especially like the terraces.  These are obviously apartments for the "more comfortable" residents of the city.



As it is, it is a good looking building, but I wanted to add some pizzazz.

The roof, in particular, needed something more to make it look cleaner.  Otherwise, the layered parts would show more obviously.  Also, the corners of the first floor where the doors were needed something a bit more.

Styrene strips have become my standard building enhancer.

Digging around my spare parts tub, I found a couple of heavy missiles from the Phalanx sprue that would serve as chimneys.




I also figured that those terraces could use a little more detail and cut out some fitting tiled plasticard pieces to add to them.

Looking more interesting.

I didn't glue those on, figuring it would be easier to paint the building and the tiles separately, then glue them together later.

Under layer  of paint applied.  The planters are a spare matboard part from this building and a leftover mdf brick from one of the Burn In Designs buildings I have.


I dry brushed the tiles, so that the tan in the recessed lines gives the illusion of grout.



The next step was to add foliage.  I used various terrain supplies I have laying about.







The building painted up nicely and the terraces look good (although one of my friends still thinks they look a little bare).  As usual with these buildings, dark paper was glued to the interior of the building.








Shaky camera during combat:


Look behind you!


No comments:

Post a Comment