Monday, August 3, 2015

A Housing Project

Going back to my trio of Burn In Designs brownstone buildings (the first one was finished and you can view this brief post about it).  For the next building I wanted to jazz it up a bit.



After I filled the cracks and added a styrene rod chimney, I got to painting it to look pretty much like the other one:


Reused photo from previous post.

This is acceptable looking - buildings are not necessarily going to be exciting.
I got to thinking about how to add something to it, though.  Graffiti seems like an option to explore, as well as wall murals or advertisements.


On one side of the building I added 'painted over' graffiti (when they put blocks of paint over graffiti) as well as more 'fresh' stuff.  I used some old WWII German vehicle decals to use as the graffiti.


Better than I could do freehand...


Looks good enough, but due to the roughness of the surface of the building (it is sort of like plywood), the fact that they are decals is pretty obvious, especially if the angle you look at them is right.


This is after being coated in matt sealant.

On the other side I wanted to do something different.  Frequently, advertisements are directly painted/pasted onto the sides of buildings rather than on billboards.  I printed up a poster in an appropriate size, cut it out and glued it onto the building.




A timeless message...


Overall, it adds some character to an otherwise boring looking building.


Previously I posted about a few resin buildings I got from GameCraft.  The next building I tackled was one of these, a five story building with a restaurant on the ground floor.



Attempt to green stuff the bubbles in the back.

Front of the building.

Unlike the first resin building from GameCraft that I completed, this one has detail on four of the six sides of the building and it is nicely done (the previous building had nice detail, but only on the front side of the structure).

This was fun to paint and came out pretty nice looking.




Hazy photograph, one day I'll learn how to take a good picture.



Although I added Milliput to the back of the building to fill bubbles, it didn't work as well as I wanted.  The detailed sides of the building were perfect, but the back was heavily pitted.  Not such a big deal, I can live with it, but I decided to see if I could cover it up with an advertisement, like I did with the brownstone example above.

This time I printed up a more relevant Robotech/Macross poster.


Bubbles still obvious, but mostly covered up.  Most of the time, this side of the building won't be seen.


Lastly, I finished up another GameCraft acrylic house.  This one is taller than the ones that I have done so far.





That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment