Thursday, October 8, 2015

A Dredd-ful Post Title




I am a recent Judge Dredd fan.  As an American, Dredd was not something I was readily exposed to when  I was younger.  There was the Stallone movie, of course.  I think it's sort of a fun movie, now, but it didn't inspire me to seek out Judge Dredd.


I am Da Law

Then in 2013 I saw Dredd with Karl Urban and that got me interested.  I was already starting to collect miniatures to do a sort of Blade Runner/Neuromancer/Ghost in the Shell sort of thing.  Nothing had quite gelled yet and I watched Dredd on cable one night and instantly got interested.


How is this movie NOT getting a sequel???


I've been reading the collected comics ever since and collecting miniatures for a Dredd setting.

For this first Dredd post it seems only appropriate to include the main guy, himself.




This model is from Wargames Foundry, from their 2000AD line.  It is a "heroic" 28mm miniature, which means it's about 32mm tall and chunky.  That seems appropriate for Judges, especially Dredd.




As you can see, this is a well sculpted miniature.  The eagle on his right shoulder is a little much, but it's not entirely out of line with some of the comic art.  His lawgiver is the older 'MkI' style.

He's based on a 25mm wooden/mdf base.  I used Milliput to smooth out the transition from the wooden base and the integral base and flocked it.





This next Judge is from Mongoose Publishing and Warlord Games.  It's not such a good model.  The sculpting is crude and the features are a mess.  I believe this is an older model from the line, back when Mongoose was making Gangs of Mega-City One rather than the current Judge Dredd Miniatures Game they now produce with Warlord.



Fortunately, this is not the best example to show, there are some really quite good miniatures in the line.
This line has variable quality to it.  Some of it is amateurish, some of it is top quality. 

I based him on a 25mm wooden base as well, this time topping that off with tiled styrene cut to fit.  I removed his slotta-tab so that he could be pinned to the base instead.





Side-by-side, the quality difference stands out.  It looks like the Foundry Dredd was the model for this Judge, the poses are so similar.





This Psi Judge is also a Mongoose/Warlord one.  It's got some issues (stubby fingers and the elbow/knee pads aren't so hot), yet it is a significant improvement over the previous model.
My photography isn't the best and the skin tone is quite dark, so the facial features are not evident in this picture as well as they might be.  I like the way her face is sculpted.
I used a darker yellow on her shoulder pads than I did on the other two Judges.  I am not sure which I like more.





I've painted up a number of models for this project so far and continue to complete more.  In the future I will post more of my finished models and my thoughts on them, as well as terrain and other related stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment