Thursday, June 25, 2015

Totally Toob-ular

Wandering around my local Michael's craft store, I noticed they carried toys in tubes (the Toob brand from Safari, Ltd).  In particular, they had some interesting looking trees...




The trees looked about the right size for 6/10mm gaming, so I bought some to check them out.




The trees are made from durable plastic, come pre-painted, have integral bases and each tube has ten unique trees.  They cost about $8-10 for the ten, but with coupons you can get them for much less.  It is a higher cost for trees at this scale, but the combination of variety, out-of-the-box utility and durability of the plastic means that these trees are convenient and should last a long time.  To me, the value is there.





The height is just about right, with the tallest tree coming in at around 3-3.5 inches.



Lurking in ambush.

The integral bases are too small to provide much stability during gaming.  I glued them down to 25mm Litko bases and added some basing material.


Looking spiffy.



The pre-painting is pretty basic, solid colors only.  The trees have decent sculpted detail -- in the future I man put a wash on or dry-brush them.


Unintentional height comparison, the blue and yellow shielded dudes behind the trees are Baccus 6mm Romans.  These are "realistically" sized.


I'm happy enough that I bought huge numbers of them and they will be my primary wooded terrain pieces for years to come.


2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using these for something on the cheap end of obtaining terrain. Have you had a chance to play a game with these trees. I think a few tubes 2-3 or more could give a nice big tree farm to fight over or at least cover a certain sized are of a battleifeld with LOS blocking terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Hive Angel. I haven't played with them, yet. I think it depends on your table size and what you want to do with them. I know I went overboard (as I usually do) and bought at least 15 of these tubes, emptying out the stock of two stores.
      If you do a search for z scale trees you can find much cheaper trees that look nice from railroad suppliers. They are more traditional foliage glued to sprue types and one of the reasons I went with these instead is because they are solid plastic so they can be knocked around without worrying much.
      I'll try to get a post up within the next week to show the different ways I've been basing these to give you more of an idea of what they look like.

      Delete