Friday, November 27, 2015

The Two Towers

One of the Burn In Designs buildings that I found most interesting is the office building that has 'two towers' with a connecting piece in the center.  There are actually two such buildings -- today I'm showing off the smaller one.

Here it is sanded and filled.  Like the other Burn In Designs buildings, this one is mdf.


 


On on of the towers I put a spare bit of mdf to serve as a HVAC unit.  It's flat and so should allow for the impression of detail while still allowing large based models to have some stability.









I added some styrene strip trim to the tower roofs.  It looks cleaner like this.







In the middle section I added thicker styrene strips along the edges.  I envision that the center section would be accessible to pedestrians.






I included mdf brick "planters".  I originally planed to do a roof-top garden type setup there, but removed many additions to facilitate the bases of the mecha models.






The bases are either 40mm or 50mm wide.  The creator of the building had this game in mind when designing it and his planning shows.






The painted and window-covered building...
I left the large entrances in the center of the building open.  I can see possibly having a driveway or even street passing through there.




Empty planters.



Added flowering plants.  I like it.






I've been having fun with this project.  Although I've focused more on Judge Dredd lately, I haven't abandoned this one.  I enjoy slowly building up my city, putting together the kits and figuring out practical ways to enhance the way they look while still maintaining their gaming-utility.





Although I have been also building the models and painting them, my main focus for this project has been terrain-first.  It's a new approach to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment