Saturday, March 21, 2015

I've gots to have this!

Some things -- be they books, movies/television shows, music, food -- stick with you in such a way that you are fans of them for life.

Robotech is a cartoon that came out in 1985. I started watching it then or the following year.  I used to wake up early to watch it and waking up early is pretty much something I never do, even now.


HG, please don't send a C&D for me using this...


The show's target audience is teenagers and it frequently comes across in the dialogue, yet in many ways it approaches the topics of war, romance and growth with maturity.  Ultimately, the theme throughout is that peace, understanding and love are greater than conflict.  It is these aspects of it that continue to appeal to me thirty years later.

Ever since I first started playing miniature wargames, I had wished for a Robotech game.  Occasionally, someone would post about using 1/200 scale Macross models to play Robotech games and that really appealed to me.  I began to shop around when Palladium announced the Kickstarter.  I don't particularly like Kickstarter and Palladium has a well deserved reputation for producing quality products at a glacial pace, missing deadlines and they are lousy at communicating.  Knowing all that l, I signed up for different reasons, although it really came down to: ROBOTECH!




I was doomed to pledge and I am glad I did.

First assembled and painted miniatures.

The above shows my first Robotech models: a Zentraedi Armada Regult battlepod and a United Earth Defence Forces Defender destroid.  I had brought them to my flgs to show the owner (and friend) who asked if he could put them in one of his display cabinets.  An honor! I am just an okay painter, so the offer was flattering.


No comments:

Post a Comment